Is aquaponics agriculture the best deal for you? If yes, what are the best aquaponics greenhouse kits for optimum results? This article offers these answers and more.
The world has changed a lot, and most of the foods we consume nowadays are full of chemicals that, in one way or the other, have effects on our bodies. But what if there is a way to grow your own fresh plants even with the limited space of urban settings?
Well, the answer lies in aquaponics farming. With aquaponics, space isn’t a big deal, and you get to enjoy fresh vegetables and fruits from your own garden.
Also, the process allows you to grow the plants organically without synthetic fertilizers and chemicals.
Sounds amazing, doesn’t it! Well, today, we give you some of the best Aquaponics greenhouse kits to enable this.
But what exactly is aquaponics? And, isn’t it complicated and tiring?
Some might ask! Well, we’ll get you all these answers in a bit.
What is Aquaponics Farming, and how does it Work?
Dating back as early as 5 A.D, aquaponics is not a new farming practice. However, with everyone using the “normal” soil farming, this practice disappeared for a good number of years.
It has, however, gained a comeback in recent years, at a time when farming space is scarce, and people are more drawn to organic farming.
So, what is this Aquaponics farming practice?
Typically, it involves growing plants and rearing aquatic life (fish, snails, prawns, crayfish, etc.) in the same system. The practice is soil-less and uses no synthetic chemicals. This way, you get to grow fresh, organic produce, either small scale or large scale.
If you’ve heard of hydroponics and aquaculture, Aquaponics involves the integration of these two farming practices.
The system relies on the symbiotic relationship between aquatic life and plants. Firstly, the animals in the water, for instance, fish, eat, breed, and excrete in the water. And since the excretion brings about ammonia, which might be toxic to the fish, nitrifying bacteria comes in.
The bacteria convert the ammonia into nitrates, which the plants in the other chamber will use for growth. In return, the plants will produce oxygen gas, which the fish will need. These two chambers are interconnected in a way that ensures easy transfer of nutrient-rich water to the plants and oxygen-rich water back to the fish tank.
In general, one organism’s by-product becomes the much-needed nourishment for the other. Now, away from all the theory! What are the best aquaponics greenhouse kits to help you achieve your indoor garden desire?
Best Aquaponics Greenhouse Kits for Homes
With a huge capacity, not available in most other aquaponic kits, Genesis G-24 is an excellent kit for guaranteed fresh produce all year round. It allows you to enjoy an abundance of fish, and fresh vegetables, no matter the season.
Genesis G-24 is 48’ wide, 96’ long, and 42’ high, giving it sufficient space for a 140-gallon fish tank. This will easily produce ample nutrients for two average-sized growing beds.
Also, this aquaponic kit has the ability to produce an average of 240 pounds of greens annually and between 25 – 30lbs of fish annually. Now, this is a good harvest, especially since you are doing it indoors.
And, you don’t have to worry about complex installation processes. Its easy installation feature, is in fact, what makes it one of the best aquaponics greenhouse kits.
Genesis G-24 components:
- Fish tank
- Growing beds
- Air pumps
- A radial filter
- Pre-cut pipe connections
- Microbial inoculant
- Clay pebbles
- Water quality tester
- Plant supplements, etc.
If you want it medium, this aquaponic kit suits you well. Huamuyu aquaponic kit measures 12.2″ by 7.7″ by 11.0″ and can hold up to 3 gallons of water.
It’s made using a sturdy clear plastic material, meaning that you don’t need to worry about it breaking. Also, the kit has an attractive design, which will certainly add appeal to your interior.
What I like most about this aquaponics greenhouse kit is that it has a self-cleaning system. This system reduces the amount of cleaning needed by around 50% compared to conventional fish tanks.
Other notable features include:
- Siphon oxygen supply – includes an automatic siphon design, where the plant’s roots breathe regularly and don’t require fertilizer or watering. The fish also get a fresh oxygen supply through 2-minute cycles that offer a natural experience in the fish tank.
- Plants variety – the kit allows you to grow various plant types, right from vegetables, flowers, and other plants.
- It is easy to set up or install
- Enables fresh produce supply all year round in limited spaces.
Some crucial things to note:
- The kit is ideal for 2-3” long fish, as shorter ones might be sucked through the pump.
- Don’t grow spicy or toxic plants that might affect your fish.
- When installing, allow the kit to run for several days before putting in the fish – avoid using fresh tap water.
This 4″ by 4″ by 6″ system is one of the best aquaponics greenhouse kits for one or two plants. Unlike larger kits that allow you to harvest bountiful fresh produce, this one is mainly used for flowers. You can also buy it for your kids’ science project – it’s a perfect fit.
The main features of this mini aquaponic system are:
- Easy to install or set up
- Symbiosis system – microbes convert fish excretes to nutrients, which the plants absorb for nourishment. Plants produce oxygen, which the fish use for survival.
- An automatic siphon design – this creates a tidal effect on the water in the tank, allowing the plant’s roots to breathe regularly.
When you buy this kit, it comes with the following components:
- The Fish Tank
- A Planting Cup
- A Pump
- User Manual
You should also note that fresh tap water is not ideal for the fish, and you should let the kit run for a few days before you bring in the fish.
This 1.2 pounds, 3 by 3 by 8.6 inches kit, is a simple mini aquaponics system that allows you to nurture both fish and plants in one setting. Since it’s a small system that can’t produce enough vegetables or fruits, you can use it to grow flowers and help the kids or young hobbyists learn about the symbiotic relationship between fish and plants.
What I like about this Aquaponic Fish Tank:
- Has an easy-to-clean tank and planter that detaches pretty easily
- Plants flourishes from the fish excrete, and no wastage or need for extra nutrients.
- The fish uses oxygen produced by the plants.
- It can easily be used to grow plants only even without the fish.
- Ceramic planting material that helps in water retention, and support roots growth
This aquaponics greenhouse kit not only creates a symbiotic environment for the fish and plants, but it also adds natural charm to your home – from the plants, fish, and the kit’s design.
If you want to enjoy the feeling of nature inside your house, this Aquaponic system allows you to do just that. With these mini aquaponic kits, you get to enjoy rearing beautiful fish and nurturing green plants in your house. The kit is most ideal for small plants and fish.
Some of its main features include:
- Beautiful design perfect for your interior
- A 2 section aquarium fish tank that contains a fish tank and a planting section at the top
- Easy to set up
- Allows you to grow beautiful indoor plants without the need for synthetic fertilizers
- Enables you to enjoy the presence of aquatic life in your own home
With this system, plants get the nutrients they need, as the fish benefit from the oxygen given out by the plants. The bacteria also make sure that the fish enjoys a clean environment, free of toxins.
Picture a living ecosystem in your house, where plants and aquatic life can thrive – just like in the natural ecosystem. This 24 pounds, 28 by 8 by 17 inches aquaponics kit makes it possible.
It allows you to grow healthy plants through a symbiotic relationship between fish, microbes, and plants. Plants keep the water clean by taking in the nutrients produced by fish as excretes.
What makes the kit awesome?
- It’s a self-sustaining aquaponics kit ideal for home, school, or office settings.
- Supports a variety of plants, including vegetables, herbs, flowers, succulents, etc.
- The kit gives you a chance to learn how the natural ecosystem works
- Plants here grow faster than in the natural ecosystem, and you can have green plants all year round.
See Related: Best Shelves for a Greenhouse
Now, this one comes with some of the most stunning features to light up your house or office. Besides giving you a chance to experience nature in your own house, its alluring design goes pretty well with almost any interior design. The best thing is, your fish and plants can grow in a symbiotic environment, which allows for faster growth than even the natural environment.
What draws me to this Aquaterrium Planting Tank?
- A beautiful design that consists of a rock-like landscape, flowing waterfall, and some exclusive artificial plants.
- An LED fixture that provides sun-like light to the plants for better growth
- A clear glass tank with a distinct fish aquarium
- An integrated water filter that helps to maintain fresh aquarium water for healthy fish
- It’s ideal for various types of plants, including watercress, herbs, jade, etc.
- The aquarium is ideal for various small fish, including goldfish, zebras, guppies, etc.
To get the nutrients to the plants, this aquaponics kit uses a pump to circulate the water. Clean oxygenated water flows back to the aquarium through the cascading waterfall. This is one of the best aquaponics greenhouse kits, and that can fit anywhere – whether on a tabletop, desk, or even a dresser.
This is another excellent 13.4 by 13.4 by 9.5 inches mini aquaponic ecosystem kit that allows you to grow plants while still rearing aquatic life. If you want to bring more light and glamour to an indoor space, this aquaponics kit does it perfectly.
It’s a sleek, self-watering kit that allows you to grow various houseplants with little hassle. And you can even customize the tank’s interior to create the best underwater scene.
The aquaponic ecosystem works in the same way as the rest of the other kits on this list. The fish eats and excretes, the microbes convert this waste into nitrates, which plants need for growth, and the plants release oxygen, which the fish use for breathing. Simple symbiosis!
What I like about this aquaponic kit:
- Offers an all year round presence of green plants in the house
- Ideal for several plants, including succulents and other houseplants
- Fits in small spaces, which is most common in urban settings
- Easy to set up and provides ideal conditions for faster plants growth
- Can be a unique home décor or gift item
- Made in the US with a free replacement or 100% money refund guarantee
- The kit includes free lessons on hydroponic and aquaponic systems helping kids to learn more.
The Water Garden package includes:
- Organic Microgreen Seeds
- D-Klor & Zym-Bac
- Fish Food
Commercial Aquaponic Kits
This system of growing plants and fish in the same system isn’t only available for small scale. You can also do it commercially. However, for commercial purposes, you need a larger space to allow the growth of more plants and fish.
That where large aquaponic greenhouses come into play, most of which are customized based on your needs. So, if you are looking for a larger commercial aquaponics greenhouse kit, you can click here to see the various designs and instructions that can help you establish one.
We hope that our list of the best aquaponics greenhouse kits has offered you some incredible options to choose from. And that you can now pick one that fits your needs based on the above information.
- 9 Best Vegetables to Grow in Greenhouses
- 10 Best Greenhouse Kits – Buying Guide
- Best Greenhouse Lights